Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Weeks 11-12 Getting Busy!

Over the past 2 weeks we have gotten so busy.  We are having a blast!

Madeline and Duncan continue to love all of their outside classes.  Although, I don't feel that gymnastics is as much of a joy this year as it was last year.  Madeline continues with ballet but I fear this might be her last year.  She seems to want to try drama but I fear what that would do to her self esteem.  I have heard stories from friends about their child not getting into a play and then having to take tons of extra classes just to give them a fighting chance to get in.  Sounds expensive and time consuming.  We will continue to let her do the drama camp in the summer I believe.

Anyway, as far as school, Madeline's favorite subjects continue to be art, science, and history (Veritas Press).  She often does 2 lessons of history in one sitting.  Last week in art we did potato paintings of our family.



We didn't have any peach colored paint so she got creative.   I love how she put a 49ers shirt on daddy and a superman shirt on Duncan.  I'm very proud of that painting!  I might even have to frame that one.

We finished up birds in science (finally).  Madeline learned about the components of an egg.  She learned that you need a LOT of pressure to break an egg.




She wasn't able to break it but she sure tried!  The kids also painted their bird houses.  The directions say to hang them in March so they are now sitting on my dining room table until I figure out where to store them until then.




Lets hope that the birds appreciate the brightness of their potential homes!

Madeline continues to attempt cursive writing.  Some letters are easier than others.  She has a really hard time with f but a pretty easy time with i.

In First Language Lessons she learned how to write a letter and address an envelope.

Here she is addressing an envelope to my cousin.

Madeline finished up multiplication and division of 7 and started on the 8 family.  Some days are easier than others.  I'll be glad to take a break from multiplying for a while, hopefully soon.

We finished up Egypt in our Sonlight history while she continues with that in Veritas Press.  I might have to hold back on Sonlight for a little while so she can catch up with VP.  I'll have to think about that for a while.

Our circle time plans sort of stalled.  I promised myself that this year I would not sign us up for so many things.  Well that went out the window so I feel like we rush school a bit therefore skipping circle time.  I really have good intentions.  Maybe next  year.  There are just so many tempting activities!

Duncan is getting some time of his own.  I try to take him to story time at the library on Monday while Madeline is in her coop classes.  I also take him to Coffee Break with me on Tuesday where he gets to learn all about God and do some crafts.  It's not really mommy and me time unless you count the car ride, but at least it's concentrated Duncan time.

We have some fun activities coming for week 13.  I hope to have time to write about them at the end of the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment